Uppsala recycling fire ‘could burn for days’

The fire in a paper recycling facility in Uppsala is still ongoing, producing large amounts of smoke. According to fire services, it could burn for days.

Uppsala recycling fire 'could burn for days'
A fire at a paper recycling facility in Uppsala. Train tracks adjacent to the facility have been closed off. Photo: Staffan Claesson/TT

“There’s a very serious fire both in one of the buildings and in piles of paper recycling,” said police press spokesperson Magnus Jansson Klarin.

The alarm was raised at 1.30pm on Monday. It was declared under control later that afternoon, but firefighters were still fighting to put out the fire completely on Tuesday morning. 

“It’s very hard to put out, and the situation is static,” said Alexander Westerberg, fire and rescue service operator for Sweden’s central region. “It’s still ongoing, and it’s still producing a serious amount of smoke”.

It’s unclear how dangerous the smoke is, Jonas Eronen, another police press spokesperson told SVT. “But obviously, it’s never good to inhale smoke from a fire”.

The fire is in the Boländerna part of Uppsala. A VMA, or Important Message to the Public, was issued on Monday informing everyone in the city to stay inside and close all windows and doors.

“It will take a while before it’s under control,” Jansson Klarin said.

The fire is in a building close to the train line servicing Uppsala, which meant all trains in and out of the city were stopped. Many trains were cancelled or diverted.

“It’s so that people sitting on the train don’t inhale smoke, and we also need to turn off the power while we put out the fire,” track operator Josef Gustafson told SVT.

The Transport Administration opened one of the two tracks on Monday evening, with the other opening early on Tuesday morning.

“The trains should be moving as usual now and there’s no danger. We’re in control of the fire and the tracks aren’t damaged,” fire service operator Kurt Holm told TT.

“It’s an extremely serious fire and we’re not going to be able to save the building,” he said. Gustafson described the risk of the fire spreading to be “very low”.

A failed attempt was made to lessen the strength of the fire at around 11pm on Monday evening.

“We tried to remove the bales which were on fire and those which had not yet caught fire with a crane lorry, but there was such a heavy ember shower that we were forced to stop,” Holm said.

Fire services were still on-site at 8am on Tuesday morning with six firemen, one fire engine, a ladder truck and a water tank. The risk of collapse is making their work more difficult.

“We can’t really get to all the areas we need to to put out the fire,” Westerberg said. “Now and then we’ll actively put out part of the fire, but at the moment we’re mostly monitoring”.

“We’re just going to let it burn now, we’re on site to monitor the fire and protect surrounding areas and the railway,” Holm said.

Member comments

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.


Swedish man wanted for Oslo murder caught in France

A man from Uppsala, Sweden, who was sought internationally for the suspected murder of a 24-year-old man in Norway has been seized by police in France, Norwegian police have said.

Swedish man wanted for Oslo murder caught in France
File photo of Norwegian police. Photo: Gorm Kallestad/NTB scanpix/TT

The man, who is in his 20s, was held on Tuesday afternoon in Dijon in eastern France, Norwegian police said at a press conference.

Both Norwegian and Swedish police, as well as Interpol and Europol, were involved in the manhunt after a 24-year-old man named as Heikki Bjørklund Paltto was found dead in a home in Oslo district Majorstuen on October 15th. He had been stabbed to death, police said.

Police suspect the murder is linked to a robbery at knifepoint not far from the murder scene on the same morning. Majorstuen is a predominantly wealthy area just outside of downtown Oslo.

The suspect has a criminal record in Sweden, with Norwegian newspaper VG reporting that he had previously served an 18-month prison sentence on robbery charges.

Police said they had a theory about what happened and added that the suspicions against the man had not changed. They did not disclose any further details at the Tuesday press conference.

“It is important to now hear what the suspect has to say,” said Grete Metlid of the Oslo police.