SHARE
COPY LINK

LYON

In Pictures: Lyon street food festival pulls in crowds and a star chef

Mauro Colagreco, the multiple award-winning Italian-Argentinian chef, joined 80 of his fellow cooks on Saturday to serve food at the Lyon Street Food Festival in southeast France.

In Pictures: Lyon street food festival pulls in crowds and a star chef
Photos: AFP

Colagreco, the chef at the Mirazur in Menton on France's ritzy Cote d'Azur, is the only foreign chef working in France to have been awarded three stars in the Michelin guide.

In June, his restaurant was named the best in the world by an influential trade list, the World's 50 Best Restaurants.

AFP

AFP

But on Saturday he was serving up dishes in one of Lyon's squares, at the fourth edition of this four-day event.

He was joined by chefs from around the world, with professionals coming from Canada, Turkey and four destinations specially featured at this year's festival: Kobe, Hong Kong, Madrid and Finland.

Those attending only had to pay four or five euros ($4.40-5.50) for their meals.

Colagreco served portions of Galician squid with new potatoes and vegetables in a Mexican Pico de Gallo style.

AFP

AFP

“It wasn't easy, precisely because we use quality products, like squid, which are fairly expensive products,” he said.

“But we always manage — especially when we do them in large quantities — to get to an acceptable price,” he said.

Other Michelin-starred chefs taking part included Romain Meder, chef of the Plaza Athenee in Paris; Mathieu Vianney, chef of the Mere Brazier in Lyon; and Serge Vieira, who cooks at the Chaudes-Aigues in the central French town of Cantal.

Emeric Richard, co-organiser of the festival, said the event was about introducing great cooking in a simple way to the general public.

AFP

The organisers even asked this year's participants to serve slightly larger portions. That way, visitors could have a three-course meal with drinks for no more than 20 euros.

The festival attracted 24,000 people last year. 

Member comments

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.

EARTHQUAKE

‘1,600 buildings destroyed?’ What could happen if the Swiss canton of Valais is hit by a big earthquake?

Nearly 800 dead, 1,600 buildings destroyed, and 119,000 people become homeless. This is the "worst-case" result of a big earthquake hitting the Swiss canton of Valais according to natural disaster experts.

'1,600 buildings destroyed?' What could happen if the Swiss canton of Valais is hit by a big earthquake?
The Swiss city of Sion in the canton of Valais. Photo: Depositphotos

More than 200 tremors have shaken the canton in early November, and the authorities predict a more sizeable earthquake will hit the area at some point in the coming years or decades.

In a worst case scenario natural disaster experts in Valais believe a 6.5 magnitude earthquake striking between the cities of Sion and Sierre could leave 800 dead, 1,600 buildings destroyed and 119,000 people homeless, according to Thursday’s “Le Nouvelliste” newspaper 

And if this extreme scenario can statistically occur every 475 years, an earthquake of lower magnitude, around 6 on the Richter scale, is likely to occur in Valais in the coming decades, experts say.

According to “Le Nouvelliste”, the canton’s “weak point” is its housing.

Only 10 to 20 percent of the buildings meet the seismic standards established in 2004. But the vast majority were built before this date.

“That does not mean that these buildings will collapse at the slightest jolt, but only that we have doubts about their resistance”, an expert told Le Nouvelliste.

According to the Cantonal Concept Preparation and Response in the Event of an Earthquake (COCPITT), it would take “no less than three generations” for all of Valais structures to be able to withstand a major earthquake.

Meanwhile, the authorities have prioritized public buildings, especially those with high concentrations of people and those serving vital functions, such as hospitals.

While these cantonal buildings of high importance have all been “treated and analysed”, this is not the case for buildings which the canton is renting and whose upgrades are not within its competence, for instance schools.

And the same goes for privately-owned buildings.

“Communes and private individuals are responsible for their constructions. But the law does not require that old buildings be brought up to standard, except in case of renovation”, the cantonal architect Philippe Venetz told Le Nouvelliste.


 

SHOW COMMENTS