Not only does the use of real candles on Christmas trees lead to a rise in call-outs for the fire brigade, but apparently eating a traditional Swiss Christmas dish can be dangerous too.
Chinese fondue – a fondue of raw meat cooked in a pot of hot broth, instead of bread dipped in cheese – is often chosen as the main meal by many Swiss at Christmas.
But according to the Swiss food hygiene office (BLV) this leads to a rise in the number of cases of diarrhoea each festive season, caused by the presence of the bacteria Campylobacter in the meat.
Up to 8,000 people are affected by Campylobacter infections every year in Switzerland, costing the country around 10 million francs, the BLV said in a statement.
And each festive season the number of cases is considerably higher than average, mainly because Chinese fondue is traditionally eaten around this time of year, it said.
Now it has issued guidelines, including a handy video, on how to prepare the meat hygienically in order to cut down the risk of Campylobacter and thus avoid spending the rest of Christmas on the toilet.
Different plates and utensils should be used for raw meat, cooked meat and other raw accompaniments such as sauces and salads, it says.
Hands should be washed thoroughly before and after handling raw meat.
Meat should be well cooked, particularly poultry, which should be completely cooked through.
“Simple hygiene measures are enough to reduce the risk of infection,” said the BLV in a statement.
“If it’s prepared correctly Chinese fondue can be eaten safely”.
READ MORE: How to celebrate Christmas like the Swiss