SHARE
COPY LINK

FIRE

Man sets himself alight by Berlusconi’s house

An Italian set himself on fire on Monday in front of the house of former prime minister Silvio Berlusconi and was rushed to hospital in a serious but stable condition, Italian media said.

Man sets himself alight by Berlusconi's house
The man set himself on fire in front of Silvio Berlusconi's Villa San Martino residence near Milan. Photo: Markus Mark

According to AGI news agency, the Sardinian approached the gate of billionaire Berlusconi's Villa San Martino residence near Milan before setting alight his clothes, which had been doused in a flammable liquid.

Police on duty in front of the villa rushed to his aid, putting out the flames and evacuating the man by helicopter to hospital.

There was no immediate indication as to why the man, said to be in his thirties, had set himself on fire.

Member comments

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.

FIRE

Barcelona fire kills four, including two children

A fire ripped through an abandoned bank occupied by squatters in central Barcelona on Tuesday, killing four people, including a baby and a three year-old boy, Spanish firefighters said.

Police and firefighters gather outside an abandoned building where a blaze broke out early on November 30, 2021 in Barcelona, killing four people.
Police and firefighters gather outside an abandoned building where a blaze broke out early on November 30, 2021 in Barcelona, killing four people. (Photo by Pau BARRENA / AFP)

“While we were battling the fire, we found four people. Emergency services tried to revive them but unfortunately they failed, they could not do anything to save them,” the head of the firefighting operation, Ángel López, told reporters.

Firefighters rescued four other people who were inside the building while putting out the blaze, he added.

Those four were treated for smoke inhalation.

Firefighters rushed to the scene at around 6 am after being warned that a blaze had broken out in the building, Mr Lopez said.

While Mr López said it was not clear how the four dead people were related, Barcelona-based daily newspaper La Vanguardia said they were all members of a Romanian family.

A spokesman for Catalonia’s regional police force, the Mossos d’Esquadra, said an investigation had been opened into the causes of the fire.

In December 2020, four people were killed after a blaze ripped through an industrial complex occupied by squatters, many of them African migrants, near Barcelona.

Over 100 squatters were believed to be living in precarious conditions at the abandoned complex in Badalona, a suburban town north of the city.

In addition to the four deaths, more than 20 people were injured in the blaze.

SHOW COMMENTS