SHARE
COPY LINK
PARIS TERROR ATTACKS

TERRORISM

Swede confirmed dead after Paris terror attacks

UPDATED: A Swedish citizen was among the victims of the attacks that killed more than 120 people in Paris on Friday, while another was injured, the foreign ministry said on Saturday.

Swede confirmed dead after Paris terror attacks
Emergency services in Paris's 10th district on Friday night. Photo: Jacques Brinon/TT/AP

LIVE: Follow the latest developments on The Local France

More than 120 people were killed in a series of coordinated bombings and shootings across Paris on Friday, including around 100 shot dead in a bloodbath at a rock concert.

“We have information that one person of Swedish nationality was wounded by gunfire and another was killed,” said Johan Tegel, a ministry spokesman told public television in the early hours of Saturday morning.

The news was confirmed by Swedish Interior Minister Anders Ygeman, speaking to Sveriges Radio in the afternoon.

Read witness accounts of the attacks on The Local France

Sweden's Foreign Minister Margot Wallström was among the first global figureheads rushing to condemn the attacks on Friday, describing the violence as “horrible news”.

Prime Minister Stefan Löfven told a press conference just after noon on Saturday that Swedes were “grieving” for France and for the Swedish victims.

“We think of the victims and their relatives, of parents who have lost their children. One Swede is dead and we have information that another Swede has been wounded in a shooting. We are in touch with their families,” he said.

Stockholmers also joined members of the French community living in the Swedish capital and held a peaceful rally in Sergel's torg, one of the largest public squares in the city.

Horrible news from Paris tonight. Our thoughts and support goes to France and all those affected by the deadly attacks.

Meanwhile Swedish officials announced that they were stepping up security in the wake of the terror in France and ahead of Sweden's Euro 2016 qualifier against Denmark in Solna, north of Stockholm, scheduled to kick off at 8.45pm.

 

BREAKING

Swedish prosecutors upgrade Almedalen knife attack to terror crime

Prosecutors in Sweden are now treating the murder at the Almedalen political festival as a terror crime, with the country's Säpo security police taking over the investigation.

Swedish prosecutors upgrade Almedalen knife attack to terror crime

In a press release issued on Monday evening, the Swedish Prosecution Authority, said that the 32-year-old attacker, Theodor Engström, was now suspected of the crime of “terrorism through murder”, and also “preparation for a terror crime through preparation for murder”. 

Engström stabbed the psychiatrist Ing-Marie Wieselgren last Wednesday as she was on her way to moderate a seminar at the Almedalen political festival on the island of Gotland. 

Although he was a former member of the neo-Nazi Nordic Resistance Movement, police said his motive seemed to be to protest against Sweden’s psychiatry services, who he felt had treated his own mental illness badly. 

The release gave no details as to why the 32-year-old was now being investigated for a more serious crime, but terror expert Magnus Ranstorp told the Expressen newspaper that the shift indicated that police had uncovered new evidence. 

READ ALSO: What do we now know about the Almedalen knife attack? 

“The new crime classification means that they’ve either found a political motive for the attack which meets the threshold for terrorism, and that might be a political motive for murdering Ing-Marie Wieselgren,” he said. “Or they might have discovered that he was scouting out a politician, or another target that could be considered political.” 

Engström’s defence lawyer said last week that his client, who he described as disturbed and incoherent, had spoken in police interrogations of having “a higher-up target”. 

SHOW COMMENTS