Beers continue to improve, and Austrians continue to drink more beer than ever, according to the latest statistics.
94 percent of Austria adults believe that beer plays the pivotal role in Austria’s culture, although only 82 percent of Austrians regularly buy beer. (Perhaps the other 18 percent drink beer bought by their friends.)
More than eight percent of Austrians are Muslim, meaning they won’t drink alcohol — however, there are plenty of options for them too, with alcohol-free beer widely available.
The “Beer Pope” Conrad Seidl, and the Brewer’s Union head Markus Liebl jointly presented the report on Monday, which showed that two thirds of Austrians regularly consume beer — far behind the 92 percent who drink coffee on a regular basis.
Most Austrians like to drink beer at home, but they also like to experiment with different styles and brands of beer. A similar survey in August suggests that six out of ten Austrians drink beer at least once a week.
Beer-buying is on the increase, with 82 percent of Austrians buying the brew regularly, up from 74 percent in the 2009 survey.
Especially active are younger drinkers, who buy beer more often than older drinkers.
Only seven percent of those polled said they never buy beer.