One hundred applicants were invited for an interview on Monday morning in Mestre’s Coin square, where they vied for chef, food preparation and sales roles, Venezia Today reported.
Italians, proud of their national cuisine, fiercely battled the chain's expansion before the economic crisis hit.
But now McDonald's is a prolific employer, with more than 90 new staff being hired this year alone at Mestre's three other outlets, Davide Castagnetti, the human resources manager for McDonalds Italy, told the newspaper.
“It’s the main way into our company,” he said, adding that 90 percent of the company's staff across Italy are women, with an average age of 27.
Among those interviewed on Monday was Elena Cerutti, a 27-year-old mother of one.
“I’ve worked at an Autogrill before, and as a barista and waitress,” she told Venice Today.
“But now, finding a job in itself is a business.”
19-year-old Francesco quit his studies to search for work and hopes McDonald's will take him on so that he can "help out at home" and live more independently.
Massimo Venturini, the president of Mestre-Carpenedo local council, said the opening of a fourth McDonald’s “is not a bad thing”, especially if it gives young people work.
McDonald’s opened its first Italian outlet in Bolzano in 1985 and then in Rome in 1986, a move that was met with protests and a legal battle launched by Italian designer Valentino, who tried to get the restaurant closed.
The chain’s expansion was also fiercely opposed in 2000, with riot police having to be called in as protesters marched through 20 cities.
The company, which now has 500 restaurants across Italy, struck at deal with pasta giant, Barilla, last year when it introduced pasta salad on its menus.
Italy's unemployment rate stood at 12.3 percent in August, while the jobless rate among 15 to 24-year-olds hit a record high of 44.2 percent.