The woman, who was six-months pregnant, was allegedly raped and beaten by the paratroopers on the night between July 14th and 15th.
The two soldiers, aged 21 and 22, had allegedly arranged to pay the woman for sex but when they reached the location they did not give her the agreed sum and beat and raped her. They are also accused of stealing money from the victim’s handbag.
After a few hours the woman called a friend who then alerted emergency services. The victim then reported the incident to police.
The soldiers were subsequently arrested and held for questioning. The men are now under house arrest at the Del Din military barracks.
One of the soldiers had been accused of raping a 17-year-old girl in a separate incident last November, police said.
In the latest attack, officers tracked down the soldiers after the woman memorized the number plate of their car.
“The two soldiers will be put on trial in Italy. This decision is final,” Justice Minister Andrea Orlando said on Twitter on Friday.
“There are two large US military bases in Vicenza where many Americans reside,” Vincenza's mayor Achille Variati told AFP.
“They live in Italy, they have to respect Italian law. He who breaks the rules must face the same consequences as an Italian citizen,” he said.
Major Mike Weisman, of the 173rd Airborne Brigade in Vicenza told The Local that it was customary under the current SOFA Agreement (State of Forces Agreement) for the US to request jurisdiction from the host country in all cases involving US military personnel but that it was ultimately up to the Italian government to determine on an individual basis which cases they release.
“We respect the jurisdictional decisions of the Host Nation authorities in all cases pursuant to the NATO State of Forces Agreement,” he said.
He added that the military were cooperating fully with Italian authorities and that the US law enforcement agency in Italy was also working closely with Italian investigators.