The social media-savvy prime minister took to Twitter on Wednesday to announce “The future will also arrive at Rai,” following a heated debate on the broadcaster’s leading talk show.
Niente paura. Il futuro arriverà anche alla Rai. Senza ordini dei partiti. #cambiaverso #italiariparte — Matteo Renzi (@matteorenzi) May 13, 2014
Niente paura. Il futuro arriverà anche alla Rai. Senza ordini dei partiti. #cambiaverso #italiariparte
“Rai must also participate in the spending review,” Renzi said on Rai 3’s Balarò programme on Tuesday evening.
The prime minister would not be drawn on a specific sum of cuts to the state broadcaster, although he said Rai’s numerous regional offices could be sites of “resounding waste”.
Since coming to office in February, Renzi has rolled out a series of reforms and economic measures including €2.1 billion in cuts announced last month.
“We have started to reduce the cost of politics...does it seem normal that Rai is the only state enterprise that can pretend it doesn’t have to do anything?” he said on Ballarò.
Don't miss a story about Italy - Join us on Facebook and Twitter.