Sicilian student loses hand after firework blast

A student from the Sicilian city of Catania lost his hand after a firework explosion on Christmas Eve.

Sicilian student loses hand after firework blast
Photo: HappyDaysPhotosAndArt/Flickr

The 25-year-old had his left hand amputated from the wrist after handling a firework during Christmas celebrations in the Catania district of Paternò, Corriere della Sera reported. The surgery took place at Cannizzaro hospital.

In a separate incident, a 23-year-old lost his arm and two others were wounded when a backpack filled with fireworks exploded during a Christmas Eve procession in the southern province of Avellino.

The blast knocked the boy off his feet, hurling him 10 metres from where he was standing, during the event in the town of Baiano, Corriere reported.

Codancons, the consumer rights association, has called for fireworks to be banned “during the end of year period”.

Don't miss a story about Italy – Join us on Facebook and Twitter.

Member comments

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.