Suspected paedophile’s home in arson attack

The house of a suspected paedophile was set ablaze on the night to Sunday, in what the police believe to be an arson attack.

Witnesses saw flames from the bottom floor of the house, where a window had been left open. The house, in Sundsvall in northern Sweden, has previously been the object of both theft and vandalism.

No one was injured in the fire, which the police have categorized as suspected arson.

“We presume so, although there might be other explanations,” Bruno Lindgren, Västernorrland’s police force’s officer on duty, told the Aftonbladet newspaper.

The 76-year-old man who lives in the house was arrested a week ago, suspected of having been involved in the rape of a 14 year-old boy, reported several media sources on Sunday.

The 76-year-old, who denies all charges, was arrested last Friday, suspected of aiding aggravated child rape.

According to the prosecutor, two teenage boys reportedly held down the 14 year-old and abused him. The elderly man reportedly watched without interfering. One of the teens has been arrested on suspicion of aggravated child rape.

The 76-year-old has been described by anonymous sources to Aftonbladet as an “extra granddad” for neighbourhood children. Still, there is now a feeling in the neighbourhood that something was not quite right.

“Many teens have been saying that he’s been a dirty old man. He’s said strange things that they found disgusting. And talked about sex with young girls and boys,” said a mother to Aftonbladet.

Member comments

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.


Two mountaineers killed and 9 injured in ice fall in Swiss mountains

A Frenchwoman and a Spaniard were killed and nine other mountaineers were injured on Friday in an ice fall in southwest Switzerland, police said following a rescue attempt involving several helicopters.

Two mountaineers killed and 9 injured in ice fall in Swiss mountains

Police received calls at 6.20 am reporting that mountaineers had been caught up in falling seracs — columns of glacial ice formed by crevasses — on the Grand Combin, a glacial massif near the Italian border in the Wallis region.

Seven helicopters with mountain rescue experts flew to the scene, finding 17 mountaineers split among several groups.

“Two people died at the scene of the accident,” Wallis police said in a statement. They were a 40-year-old Frenchwoman and a 65-year-old man from Spain.

Nine mountaineers were airlifted to hospitals in nearby Sion and in Lausanne. Two of them are seriously injured, police said.

Other mountaineers were evacuated by helicopter.

The regional public prosecutor has opened an investigation “to determine the circumstances of this event”, the police said.

The serac fall happened at an altitude of 3,400 metres in the Plateau de Dejeuner section along the Voie du Gardien ascent route.

The Grand Combin massif has three summits above 4,000 metres, the highest of which is the Combin de Grafeneire at 4,314 metres.

The police issued a note of caution about setting off on such high-altitude expeditions.

“When the zero-degree-Celsius isotherm is around 4,000 metres above sea level, it is better to be extra careful or not attempt the route if in doubt,” Wallis police said.

“The golden rule is to find out beforehand from the mountain guides about the chosen route and its current feasibility.”