SHARE
COPY LINK

CRIME

Man found murdered in Oslo car boot

Police have launched a murder investigation after a man was found dead in the luggage compartment of a car in Oslo on Thursday evening.

Man found murdered in Oslo car boot
Police inspector Hanne Kristin Rohde attends Friday's press conference (Photo: Morten Holm/Scanpix)

The owner of the vehicle, a man from Aurskog-Høland,has been reported missing.

”We don’t know the identity of the man who was found dead but we do have information we can work with. We hope to have an identity over the course of the day, or tomorrow at the latest,” said police inspector Hanne Kristin Rohde at a Friday press conference.

A police spokesman said the owner of the vehicle was reported missing on Thursday night.

”His wife contacted the police,” Einar Svendsen told newspaper Romerikes Blad.

The woman was not known to the police, Svendsen added.

Hanne Kristin Rohde said police had not yet ascertained how long the body had been in the car, or for how long the car had been parked at Sondrevegen in Montebello, western Oslo.

”We’re very interested in getting tips from members of the general public who may have seen something unusual in the area at any time over the last week. The fact that we’re going back a week is a bit of a shot in the dark since there’s much we don’t yet know,” said Rohde.

A post-mortem examination is expected to be carried out later on Friday or on Saturday, Rohde said.

The dead man’s body was found at 9.30pm on Thursday, three hours after a neighbour contacted the police to report a car that had been parked in a turning area.  

Police continued to work at the scene all through the night.

”Personal injuries and finds made at the site led us to open a murder investigation,” said Rohde.

The car in which the body was found was a station wagon, police said, without revealing any further details.

One person living in the area said the car had been parked illegally in a turning area for several days, newspaper Dagbladet reports.

Member comments

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.

OSLO

Norwegian official and wife receive death threats after walrus euthanasia

The director of Norway’s fisheries agency and his wife, who does not work for the agency, have received death threats from across the world following a decision to euthanise a walrus that took up residence in Oslo harbour.

Norwegian official and wife receive death threats after walrus euthanasia

The walrus, nicknamed Freya, attracted crowds while basking in the Oslo fjord this summer but was euthanised on Sunday.

Officials said it was the only option after determining they could not “guarantee the wellbeing of the animal”.

Experts criticised an “infinitely sad” decision, however.

READ ALSO: Walrus that attracted crowds in Oslo fjord euthanised

The head of the Norwegian Directorate of Fisheries, Frank Bakke-Jensen, received death threats from Norway and all over the world on Monday after the decision to put down the walrus was reported, broadcaster NRK reported.

Bakke-Jensen’s wife, Hilde Sjurelv, was also the target of threats according to the report.

“It’s completely fine not to agree, but making death threats is going too far. That’s going too far,” Sjurelv told NRK.

Sjurelv has received abuse based on both who she is and her appearance but cited the death threats as the worst of the messages. Several of the messages have been seen by NRK, the broadcaster writes.

“I was shaken and scared when unpleasant messages and comments began pouring in on my phone,” Sjurelv said.

“This is about an issue I have nothing to do with, apart from being married to Frank,” she said.

“I think many people from different countries can express their view but they should limit it to disagreeing and not make direct death threats,” she said.

She has now made her Facebook profile private, she said.

Bakke-Jensen said he would report the threats to police.

“I have no problem receiving complaints or objections about my job to me personally. But I think it’s way over the line to contact my family. But that has unfortunately become part of everyday life,” he told NRK.

“My own safety is taken care of, so I’m not too concerned about that. This is an issue that has been very emotive and that can set off a lot of irrational forces, so we get examples like this,” he said.

The director of the Fisheries agency said he did not think he or his wife would be in need of added security.

“I will do as I have done before, save and send on to the police, and their experts will assess it,” he said.

SHOW COMMENTS