“I think it’s just awful; they can’t do this to people,” Amanda Kazemi told the Götegborgs-Posten (GP) newspaper following the incident.
“Children and people with illnesses also eat at McDonald’s. What would happen if they one of them got this inside of them.”
Barn och sjuka äter också på McDonalds. Vad händer om någon av dem får i sig det här,
Kazemi purchased the burger on Tuesday at a McDonald’s located in the Nordstan shopping centre and was just about to dig into when she noticed the maggot.
When she brought the burger back to complain, employees at the McDonald’s reacted in horror.
“They said, ‘Yuck!’,” according to Kazemi, who subsequently refused their offer of a new burger in exchange for the one harbouring the unwanted guest.
Employees at the McDonald’s in question refused to comment on the incident, however company spokesperson Frida Berg called the incident “regrettable”.
“I can understand why the woman is upset, things like this absolutely can’t happen,” Berg told GP.
“This is the first time I’ve ever heard of something like this happening.”
Berg emphasized that McDonald’s has “high demands” for its suppliers, adding that she found no fault with how restaurant employees’ treated Kazemi following the discovery of the maggot on her burger.
She added, however, that the employees’ failure to keep the contaminated burger will make it difficult to figure out how the maggot got there in the first place.