Town reeling as police search continues

As police continue their search of the area where the 4-year-old boy was found dead on Sunday evening by scouring the location and going from door to door in the neighbourhood near the scene of the crime, the local community is trying to get to grips with what has happened.

Town reeling as police search continues

At nearby Kungshögsskolan, located only a few blocks away from the scene of the crime, and where one of the murdered 4-year-old’s six siblings is also a student, staff is doing what they can to assuage the worries.

”We want to have as normal and safe a school-day as possible. School should be a place where everyone feels safe. But a terribly tragic incident like this creates concern,” said principal Ann-Christin Peterson-Rosén to news agency TT.

Staff and students are trying to continue as normal after the tragedy. But it is difficult and the concern among parents, children and staff is tangible.

Extra staff has now been called in to keep an eye out when the children play outside.

”Apart from talking to the students they will be vigilant as to who comes to the school. This is staff that the kids are familiar with from before,” she said.

Both children and adults have been visiting the local church. There they leave messages for the stricken family and light candles to honour the memory of the dead 4-year-old.

”It always feels worse when it is such a small child. I think this incident affects our entire country,” said vicar Håkan Sjömar to TT.

The church has extended its opening hours to cater for all those who need solace.

”And considering how many have visited so far it is filling an important function,” Sjömar said.

After the preliminary autopsy of the 4-year-old boy’s body, police are continuing the investigation into his murder.

So far no one has been brought in on suspicion for boy’s killing. While police have said the autopsy revealed what caused the boy’s death, they remain tight lipped about exactly how the boy died.

Sniffer dogs and forensic officers has been scouring the area, which was cordoned off by police after the macabre discovery on Sunday evening.

The police are hoping for more tip-offs from the residents in the area.

”We have already made some findings and we will continue to question a lot of people. But I can’t make public anything about what we have found or the information we have gleaned at this stage,” Kronoberg police spokesperson Robert Loeffel told TT.

Member comments

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.


Body found in Oslo flat nine years after death

A man lay dead in his flat for nine years before being discovered in December, police in Oslo have said.

Body found in Oslo flat nine years after death
Photo by pichet wong from Pexels

The man, who was in his sixties, had been married more than once and also had children, national broadcaster NRK reports.

His name has been kept anonymous. According to neighbours he liked to keep to himself and when they didn’t see him, they thought he had moved or been taken to assisted living.

“Based on the details we have, it is obviously a person who has chosen to have little contact with others,” Grethe Lien Metild, chief of Oslo Police District, told NRK.

His body was discovered when a caretaker for the building he was living in requested police open the apartment so he could carry out his work.

“We have thought it about a lot, my colleagues and people who have worked with this for many years. This is a special case, and it makes us ask questions about how it could happen,” Metild said.

Police believe the man died in April 2011, based on a carton of milk and a letter that were found in his apartment. An autopsy has shown he died of natural causes.

READ ALSO: Immigrants in Norway more likely to be affected by loneliness

His pension was suspended in 2018 when the Norwegian Labour and Welfare Administration (NAV) could not get in touch with him, but his bills were still paid out of his bank account and suspended pension fund.

Arne Krokan, a professor at the Norwegian University of Science and Technology, said the man’s death would have unlikely gone unnoticed for so long if he had died 30 years ago.

“In a way, it is the price we have paid to get digital services,” he said to NRK.

Last year 27 people were found in Oslo, Asker or Bærum seven days or more after dying. The year before the number was 32 people. Of these, one was dead for almost seven months before being discovered.