“Mr. Strauss-Kahn will not be pleading guilty to anything,” William Taylor, one of his lead lawyers, told the newspaper.
Taylor spoke after he and defense attorney Benjamin Brafman met on Wednesday with Manhattan prosecutors in a session they described as “constructive.”
Taylor also said they did not discuss a plea bargain in the case at the meeting.
Wednesday’s meeting came amid growing speculation that prosecutors may have to abandon the case against Strauss-Kahn, a prominent French politician once seen as in line for the presidency.
The case suffered a potentially fatal blow last week when prosecutors cast doubt on the credibility of the Guinean-born maid at the luxury Manhattan hotel who accused Strauss-Kahn of sexually assaulting and attempting to rape her on May 14.
Prosecutors have said the maid lied in sworn testimony in the case, and has given false information on tax and asylum application forms, including about an alleged gang rape in Guinea.
Strauss-Kahn’s defense team indicated last week that they would be unwilling to agree to a plea deal over a lesser felony or misdemeanor charge unless the prosecution could find some damning evidence of wrongdoing.
Prosecutors have insisted the matter is not closed and that the charges still stand. Strauss-Kahn, who has been released from house arrest and allowed to travel freely within the United States, is due back in court for another hearing on July 18.