SHARE
COPY LINK

CRIME

Court says Bodenfelde murder suspect admitted to cannibal acts

Just days before the trial opens against the man charged with the murders of two teenagers in Lower Saxony in November, the court in Göttingen has revealed that the killer reportedly bit one of his victims.

Court says Bodenfelde murder suspect admitted to cannibal acts
Photo: DPA

German news agency DPA said the man also ate body parts belonging to one of the teenagers killed in the town of Bodenfelde. Court spokesman Tobias Jakubetz told DPA on Friday that the defendant had admitted to cannibalistic acts.

In late November, 26-year-old Jan O., confessed to the murders of two Bodenfelde teenagers: Nina, 14, and Tobias, 13. Their bodies were found in a wooded area on the outskirts of the town.

The court spokesman said the man charged with the murders bit a wound on the female victim’s neck after she was killed. The defendant also allegedly admitted he attempted to bite off the girl’s toe.

Jan O. said he had wanted to attack Nina sexually but had murdered her when she screamed and defended herself.

The killer choked Nina near her home on November 15, before dragging her to a nearby wood, where she was kicked, struck with a full beer bottle and stabbed to death in the throat.

Five days later, 13-year-old Tobias was murdered. The court said the killer initially mistook the victim for a girl before taking Tobias to the same wooded area, strangling and stabbing him to death.

A psychological evaluation of the defendant found that suspect Jan O. was mentally unstable at the time of the murders and speculated that the motive behind both killings was sexual in nature.

The trial against Jan O. begins on Wednesday in Göttingen. Due to the gruesome nature of the crimes, a large part of trial could take place in camera.

DPA/DAPD/arp

Member comments

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.

GERMANY AND ISRAEL

Germany in talks on further payout for 1972 Olympics victims

The German government says it is in talks over further compensation for victims of the attack on the Munich Olympics, as the 50th anniversary of the atrocity approaches.

Germany in talks on further payout for 1972 Olympics victims

Ahead of the commemoration in September, relatives of the Israelis killed have indicated they are unhappy with what Germany is offering.

“Conversations based on trust are taking place with representatives of the victims’ families,” a German interior ministry spokesman told AFP when asked about the negotiations.

He did not specify who would benefit or how much money had been earmarked, saying only that any package would “again” be financed by the federal government, the state of Bavaria and the city of Munich.

On September 5th, 1972, eight gunmen broke into the Israeli team’s flat at the Olympic village, shooting dead two and taking nine Israelis hostage, threatening to kill them unless 232 Palestinian prisoners were released.

West German police responded with a bungled rescue operation in which all nine hostages were killed, along with five of the eight hostage-takers and a police officer.

An armed police officer in a tracksuit secures the block where terrorists  held Israeli hostages at the Olympic Village in Munich on 5th September 1972.

An armed police officer in a tracksuit secures the block where terrorists held Israeli hostages at the Olympic Village in Munich on 5th September 1972. Photo: picture alliance / dpa | Horst Ossingert

The spokeswoman for the victims’ families, Ankie Spitzer, told the German media group RND that the amount currently on the table was “insulting” and threatened a boycott of this year’s commemorations.

She said Berlin was offering a total of €10 million including around €4.5 million already provided in compensation between 1972 and 2002 — an amount she said did not correspond to international standards. 

“We are angry and disappointed,” said Spitzer, the widow of fencing coach Andre Spitzer who was killed in the attack. “We never wanted to talk publicly about money but now we are forced to.”

RND reported that the German and Israeli governments would like to see an accord by August 15th.

The interior ministry spokesman said that beyond compensation, Germany intended to use the anniversary for fresh “historical appraisal, remembrance and recognition”.

He said this would include the formation of a commission of German and Israeli historians to “comprehensively” establish what happened “from the perspective of the year 2022”.

This would lead to “an offer of further acts of acknowledgement of the relatives of the victims of the attack” and the “grave consequences” they suffered.

SHOW COMMENTS