SHARE
COPY LINK

CRIME

Social worker steals from orphans in his care

An employee of the child welfare agency in Göttingen allegedly stole more then €400,000 from orphans and other young people he was assigned to over a five-year period. He used the money to support a lavish lifestyle.

Social worker steals from orphans in his care
Photo: DPA

“The man faces charges in just under 580 cases,” Hans Hugo Heimgärtner, spokesman for the Göttingen prosecutors’ office, told the Göttinger Tageblatt newspaper, which reported the story on Saturday.

The 56-year-old, who has now been suspended, was assigned as a guardian to orphaned children or others who had been placed with child protective services. In that function, he was tasked with administering their bank accounts and inheritance matters.

According to prosecutors, between 2004 and 2009 he is alleged to have made regular transfers of several hundred euros from bank accounts belonging to 54 of his charges to his own. Larger amounts would be transferred among several different accounts until finally ending up in his pocket.

He apparently used the money to finance a luxurious lifestyle, which included expensive watches and cars.

In 2009, a young person noticed irregularities in his account and informed authorities, who then began an investigation. Prosecutors have charged the man with embezzlement and computer fraud, among other offences.

DAPD/DPA

Member comments

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.

GERMANY AND ISRAEL

Germany in talks on further payout for 1972 Olympics victims

The German government says it is in talks over further compensation for victims of the attack on the Munich Olympics, as the 50th anniversary of the atrocity approaches.

Germany in talks on further payout for 1972 Olympics victims

Ahead of the commemoration in September, relatives of the Israelis killed have indicated they are unhappy with what Germany is offering.

“Conversations based on trust are taking place with representatives of the victims’ families,” a German interior ministry spokesman told AFP when asked about the negotiations.

He did not specify who would benefit or how much money had been earmarked, saying only that any package would “again” be financed by the federal government, the state of Bavaria and the city of Munich.

On September 5th, 1972, eight gunmen broke into the Israeli team’s flat at the Olympic village, shooting dead two and taking nine Israelis hostage, threatening to kill them unless 232 Palestinian prisoners were released.

West German police responded with a bungled rescue operation in which all nine hostages were killed, along with five of the eight hostage-takers and a police officer.

An armed police officer in a tracksuit secures the block where terrorists  held Israeli hostages at the Olympic Village in Munich on 5th September 1972.

An armed police officer in a tracksuit secures the block where terrorists held Israeli hostages at the Olympic Village in Munich on 5th September 1972. Photo: picture alliance / dpa | Horst Ossingert

The spokeswoman for the victims’ families, Ankie Spitzer, told the German media group RND that the amount currently on the table was “insulting” and threatened a boycott of this year’s commemorations.

She said Berlin was offering a total of €10 million including around €4.5 million already provided in compensation between 1972 and 2002 — an amount she said did not correspond to international standards. 

“We are angry and disappointed,” said Spitzer, the widow of fencing coach Andre Spitzer who was killed in the attack. “We never wanted to talk publicly about money but now we are forced to.”

RND reported that the German and Israeli governments would like to see an accord by August 15th.

The interior ministry spokesman said that beyond compensation, Germany intended to use the anniversary for fresh “historical appraisal, remembrance and recognition”.

He said this would include the formation of a commission of German and Israeli historians to “comprehensively” establish what happened “from the perspective of the year 2022”.

This would lead to “an offer of further acts of acknowledgement of the relatives of the victims of the attack” and the “grave consequences” they suffered.

SHOW COMMENTS