The district court in Örebro ruled Friday afternoon that the man be remanded in custody on suspicions of one case of aggravated rape, one case of rape and two counts of attempted rape.
During the hearing, the 23-year-old admitted to the rape that took place on Örebro’s Boglundsgatan in March this year. Thus, the remand ruling came as no surprise. However, he continues to claim his innocence in the other cases.
“He acknowledged the motion to remand and was therefore expected to be remanded in custody. My client is not well. He’s together, but devastated,” defence attorney Margareta Arvidsson told the TT news agency.
She claimed, however, the evidence against her client is weak when it comes to the other attacks of which he stands accused, which include an attempted rape on Örebro’s Trängkärrsvägen on August 11th, 2005, as well as a rape committed last Sunday on Egnahemsvägen and an attempted rape on Tunnelgatan, also committed last Sunday.
The man appeared resolute when he stepped into the courtroom. He wore a green prison uniform and had a blue terry towel around his shoulders.
After the brief introduction, the district court decided that the hearing should continue behind closed doors, which lasted only an hour.
Police have been investigating dozens of assaults in the city over a long period of time and have taken hundreds of DNA samples from men who are of interest in various ways in the investigation.
Last week, the the 23-year-old was called in to the police for a saliva sample.
“Last Friday, he called us and said he could not come,” Örebro police information director Torbjörn Carlson told news agency TT.
The man’s refusal surprised the police and heightened their suspicions against him.
Before the man was arrested on Monday, two women were attacked on Sunday and it is believed that he was behind both assaults.