SHARE
COPY LINK

CRIME

Man admits stabbing former teacher over poor marks

A 23-year-old man admitted before a Rhineland-Palatinate court on Tuesday to stabbing his former teacher to death for giving him bad marks.

Man admits stabbing former teacher over poor marks
Florian K. in court on Tuesday. Photo: DPA

Florian K. told the court in at the opening of his trial in the town of Frankenthal that he had planned to kill other teachers and students in a bloody rampage to avenge years of bullying and mistreatment.

“I wanted to get revenge for years of humiliation,” he told the court.

He stabbed the 58-year-old male teacher to death in a secluded stairwell at the vocational school in the city of Ludwigshafen after luring him there on a pretext and then locking him in.

Prosecutors have previously said that further deaths or injuries were averted only because two police patrols responded quickly to a smoke alarm the young man set off by trying to light a fire.

Four police with guns drawn managed to persuade Florian K. to put down the knife and starter pistol he was carrying. Authorities then quickly evacuated the school, which had about 3,200 students inside.

Florian K. had been bullied for years at the school, he told the court on Tuesday. He was picked on both physically and mentally as early as elementary school because he was overweight, he said.

“I cannot imagine that the teachers there never noticed anything,” he said.

He showed no remorse for his crime, though he admitted having asked himself “whether such a crime was the right step.”

According to his lawyer Gabriele Haas, Florian K. suffered from a personality disorder.

“He cannot express his feelings,” she said.

Florian K. stabbed the 58-year-old teacher from Darmstadt to death on February 18 because the teacher had given him poor marks, the young man told the court. After that, he had been “goalless” at school, he said.

After the stabbing, Florian K. went through the school and lit a bright flare known as a “Bengali fire.”

He then fired at the school headmaster with a starter pistol. Investigators later found a cache of imitation guns, munitions and chemicals at Florian K.’s home.

They also found a hit-list with the names of teachers, students, and former supervisors and employees at a job centre. Prior to committing the crime, Florian K. had been in a job centre assistance program.

He also told investigators he had previously planned to carry out a similar crime in 2008 but had ditched the idea.

DPA/The Local/dw

Member comments

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.

GERMANY AND ISRAEL

Germany in talks on further payout for 1972 Olympics victims

The German government says it is in talks over further compensation for victims of the attack on the Munich Olympics, as the 50th anniversary of the atrocity approaches.

Germany in talks on further payout for 1972 Olympics victims

Ahead of the commemoration in September, relatives of the Israelis killed have indicated they are unhappy with what Germany is offering.

“Conversations based on trust are taking place with representatives of the victims’ families,” a German interior ministry spokesman told AFP when asked about the negotiations.

He did not specify who would benefit or how much money had been earmarked, saying only that any package would “again” be financed by the federal government, the state of Bavaria and the city of Munich.

On September 5th, 1972, eight gunmen broke into the Israeli team’s flat at the Olympic village, shooting dead two and taking nine Israelis hostage, threatening to kill them unless 232 Palestinian prisoners were released.

West German police responded with a bungled rescue operation in which all nine hostages were killed, along with five of the eight hostage-takers and a police officer.

An armed police officer in a tracksuit secures the block where terrorists  held Israeli hostages at the Olympic Village in Munich on 5th September 1972.

An armed police officer in a tracksuit secures the block where terrorists held Israeli hostages at the Olympic Village in Munich on 5th September 1972. Photo: picture alliance / dpa | Horst Ossingert

The spokeswoman for the victims’ families, Ankie Spitzer, told the German media group RND that the amount currently on the table was “insulting” and threatened a boycott of this year’s commemorations.

She said Berlin was offering a total of €10 million including around €4.5 million already provided in compensation between 1972 and 2002 — an amount she said did not correspond to international standards. 

“We are angry and disappointed,” said Spitzer, the widow of fencing coach Andre Spitzer who was killed in the attack. “We never wanted to talk publicly about money but now we are forced to.”

RND reported that the German and Israeli governments would like to see an accord by August 15th.

The interior ministry spokesman said that beyond compensation, Germany intended to use the anniversary for fresh “historical appraisal, remembrance and recognition”.

He said this would include the formation of a commission of German and Israeli historians to “comprehensively” establish what happened “from the perspective of the year 2022”.

This would lead to “an offer of further acts of acknowledgement of the relatives of the victims of the attack” and the “grave consequences” they suffered.

SHOW COMMENTS