Jobs agency tapped for greater integration role

The Swedish agency primarily tasked with helping unemployed people find jobs will assume a greater responsibility for implementing Sweden’s integration policies, according to a new government proposal.

The bill, to be presented on Thursday, comes despite a new study showing the Sweden’s National Public Employment Agency (Arbetsförmedlingen) has so far failed in its efforts to assist newly arrived immigrants.

Government officials speak about the proposal as marking a systemic shift in Swedish integration policy, the Svenska Dagbladet (SvD) newspaper reports.

To a large extent, the proposal entails the state, via Arbetsförmedlingen, taking over much of the responsibility which currently rests with Sweden’s 290 municipalities.

The government believes it’s important to get immigrants into the job market, something which it hopes will happen more effectively with assistance from the employment agency in the form of coaching and training.

The proposal calls for the assistance to be offered as soon as an immigrant is granted residency in Sweden.

But an investigation carried out by the Swedish Association of Local Authorities and Regions (SALAR), an association which represents the country’s municipalities, gives Arbetsförmedlingen a failing grade when it comes to the efforts made so far on behalf of immigrants.

The study, which is also to be presented on Thursday, shows that nine of ten newly arrived immigrants registered with the jobs agency last year didn’t receive any support at all. By the definition used in the study, “newly arrived” refers to people who came to Sweden in the last three years.

SALAR’s study also revealed problems with Arbetsförmedlingen’s treatment of immigrants when it came to gender equity.

According to the association’s findings, the employment agency offered assistance to newly arrived immigrant men twice as often as it helped women immigrants.

Member comments

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.
For members


Reader question: When am I eligible for a Swedish pension?

A reader got in touch to ask how long he had to work in Sweden before he was eligible for a pension. Here are Sweden's pension rules, and how you can get your pension when the time comes.

Reader question: When am I eligible for a Swedish pension?

The Swedish pension is part of the country’s social insurance system, and it can seem like a confusing beast at times. The good news is that if you’re living and working here, you’ll almost certainly be earning towards a pension, and you’ll be able to get that money even if you move elsewhere before retirement.

You will start earning your Swedish general pension, or allmän pension, once you’ve earned over 20,431 kronor in a single year, and – for almost all kinds of pension in Sweden – there is no time limit on how long you must have lived in Sweden before you are eligible.

The exception is the minimum guarantee pension, or garantipension, which you can receive whether you’ve worked or not. To be eligible at all for this, you need to have lived in Sweden for a period of at least three years before you are 65 years old. 

“There’s a limit, but it’s a money limit,” Johan Andersson, press secretary at the Swedish Pension Agency told The Local about the general pension. “When you reach the point that you start paying tax, you start paying into your pension.”

“But you have to apply for your pension, make sure you get in touch with us when you want to start receiving it,” he said.

Here’s our in-depth guide on how you can maximise your Swedish pension, even if you’re only planning on staying in Sweden short-term.

Those who spend only a few years working in Sweden will earn a much smaller pension than people who work here for their whole lives, but they are still entitled to something – people who have worked in Sweden will keep their income pension, premium pension, supplementary pension and occupational pension that they have earned in Sweden, even if they move to another country. The pension is paid no matter where in the world you live, but must be applied for – it is not automatically paid out at retirement age.

If you retire in the EU/EEA, or another country with which Sweden has a pension agreement, you just need to apply to the pension authority in your country of residence in order to start drawing your Swedish pension. If you live in a different country, you should contact the Swedish Pensions Agency for advice on accessing your pension, which is done by filling out a form (look for the form called Ansök om allmän pension – om du är bosatt utanför Sverige).

The agency recommends beginning the application process at least three months before you plan to take the pension, and ideally six months beforehand if you live abroad. It’s possible to have the pension paid into either a Swedish bank account or an account outside Sweden.

A guarantee pension – for those who live on a low income or no income while in Sweden – can be paid to those living in Sweden, an EU/EEA country, Switzerland or, in some cases, Canada. This is the only Swedish pension which is affected by how long you’ve lived in Sweden – you can only receive it if you’ve lived in the country for at least three years before the age of 65.

“The guarantee pension is residence based,” Andersson said. “But it’s lower if you haven’t lived in Sweden for at least 40 years. You are eligible for it after living in Sweden for only three years, but it won’t be that much.”