SHARE
COPY LINK

CRIME

Nuremberg fugitive still on the loose after bedsheet escape

An escaped prisoner accused of rape is back in jail on Tuesday while his companion remains on the lam after the two escaped from a Nuremberg jail with a plan straight from a cliché cops-and-robbers film.

Nuremberg fugitive still on the loose after bedsheet escape
Photo: DPA

According to prison officials, the 30-year-old and 37-year-old escapees made a cloth ladder by tying bed sheets together. They then waited until the early morning hours on Monday to climb onto the roof of the 108-year-old prison, which attaches directly to the protective fence around the prison grounds.

Despite the guards and barbed wire, the two men were able to use their makeshift knotted ladder to climb down 15 metres to get the roof of an adjacent parking garage and off into freedom.

Police on patrol were immediately alerted to the escape and the hunt began.

The older of the two was caught hiding under a truck by officers in the western part of the city on Sielstraße. The 30-year-old fled again and continues to be on the lam.

The fugitive is named Jan Jacek Grzywacz, stands at 180 centimetres tall and weighs 70 kilogrammes. He has short, dark blonde hair, is a smoker and has poor dental hygiene. Police believe that after being spotted by authorities, he ran into a black Audi sedan with Nuremberg plates.

Grzywacz is wanted for breaking and entering, as well as extradition to his native Poland.

This is the second time this year that prisoners have been able to escape the Nuremberg jail. In May, a 26-year-old managed to flee using a similar plan and a makeshift ladder to get down the same wall.

Member comments

Log in here to leave a comment.
Become a Member to leave a comment.

GERMANY AND ISRAEL

Germany in talks on further payout for 1972 Olympics victims

The German government says it is in talks over further compensation for victims of the attack on the Munich Olympics, as the 50th anniversary of the atrocity approaches.

Germany in talks on further payout for 1972 Olympics victims

Ahead of the commemoration in September, relatives of the Israelis killed have indicated they are unhappy with what Germany is offering.

“Conversations based on trust are taking place with representatives of the victims’ families,” a German interior ministry spokesman told AFP when asked about the negotiations.

He did not specify who would benefit or how much money had been earmarked, saying only that any package would “again” be financed by the federal government, the state of Bavaria and the city of Munich.

On September 5th, 1972, eight gunmen broke into the Israeli team’s flat at the Olympic village, shooting dead two and taking nine Israelis hostage, threatening to kill them unless 232 Palestinian prisoners were released.

West German police responded with a bungled rescue operation in which all nine hostages were killed, along with five of the eight hostage-takers and a police officer.

An armed police officer in a tracksuit secures the block where terrorists  held Israeli hostages at the Olympic Village in Munich on 5th September 1972.

An armed police officer in a tracksuit secures the block where terrorists held Israeli hostages at the Olympic Village in Munich on 5th September 1972. Photo: picture alliance / dpa | Horst Ossingert

The spokeswoman for the victims’ families, Ankie Spitzer, told the German media group RND that the amount currently on the table was “insulting” and threatened a boycott of this year’s commemorations.

She said Berlin was offering a total of €10 million including around €4.5 million already provided in compensation between 1972 and 2002 — an amount she said did not correspond to international standards. 

“We are angry and disappointed,” said Spitzer, the widow of fencing coach Andre Spitzer who was killed in the attack. “We never wanted to talk publicly about money but now we are forced to.”

RND reported that the German and Israeli governments would like to see an accord by August 15th.

The interior ministry spokesman said that beyond compensation, Germany intended to use the anniversary for fresh “historical appraisal, remembrance and recognition”.

He said this would include the formation of a commission of German and Israeli historians to “comprehensively” establish what happened “from the perspective of the year 2022”.

This would lead to “an offer of further acts of acknowledgement of the relatives of the victims of the attack” and the “grave consequences” they suffered.

SHOW COMMENTS