Man shoots at police in Malmö

Malmö police are searching for a man who opened fire at officers after a car chase in the city on Saturday night.

The man opened fire after police tried to stop a car at a routine traffic control. When the car did not slow down police took up chase. After a short chase, the car stopped and a passenger climbed out and opened fire.

The pursuing police returned fire but it was unclear on Sunday morning whether they had hit the gunman, who escaped on foot.

How many shots were fired by police and the gunman is also as yet unconfirmed.

The car’s driver, a 23-year-old man known to police, was arrested at the scene.

A large deployment of police officers, including a flying squad and dog patrols were searching for the gunman on Sunday morning. At 8am on Sunday the search was extended outside of the immediate area where the shooting occurred.

“The search is continuing, both internally and externally,” Cindy Schönström-Larsson at Skåne police told news agency TT.

A short debriefing has been held with the police involved in the incident.

“They have now been taken off duty and are being looked after.”

The police have as yet been unable to confirm the type of weapon used by the car’s passenger. According to media reports it was either a hand gun or an automatic weapon.

Police report on Sunday that they do not consider the man dangerous to the general public.


Two mountaineers killed and 9 injured in ice fall in Swiss mountains

A Frenchwoman and a Spaniard were killed and nine other mountaineers were injured on Friday in an ice fall in southwest Switzerland, police said following a rescue attempt involving several helicopters.

Two mountaineers killed and 9 injured in ice fall in Swiss mountains

Police received calls at 6.20 am reporting that mountaineers had been caught up in falling seracs — columns of glacial ice formed by crevasses — on the Grand Combin, a glacial massif near the Italian border in the Wallis region.

Seven helicopters with mountain rescue experts flew to the scene, finding 17 mountaineers split among several groups.

“Two people died at the scene of the accident,” Wallis police said in a statement. They were a 40-year-old Frenchwoman and a 65-year-old man from Spain.

Nine mountaineers were airlifted to hospitals in nearby Sion and in Lausanne. Two of them are seriously injured, police said.

Other mountaineers were evacuated by helicopter.

The regional public prosecutor has opened an investigation “to determine the circumstances of this event”, the police said.

The serac fall happened at an altitude of 3,400 metres in the Plateau de Dejeuner section along the Voie du Gardien ascent route.

The Grand Combin massif has three summits above 4,000 metres, the highest of which is the Combin de Grafeneire at 4,314 metres.

The police issued a note of caution about setting off on such high-altitude expeditions.

“When the zero-degree-Celsius isotherm is around 4,000 metres above sea level, it is better to be extra careful or not attempt the route if in doubt,” Wallis police said.

“The golden rule is to find out beforehand from the mountain guides about the chosen route and its current feasibility.”